Due for your annual eye exam soon? Whether this is your first time or you’ve been going to the same eye exam doctor for years, it is a good idea to be prepared for your appointment.
One way to do so, aside from knowing what happens during an eye exam, is to anticipate which information your doctor may ask you for. Read on to learn more.
What Happens During an Eye Exam?
The first part of the exam usually involves your eye doctor testing your visual acuity. They may use the Snellen chart to determine the level of visual detail you can discriminate.
Your eye exam doctor will then likely conduct a refraction test, during which they will instruct you to look into a machine to determine your vision prescription.
Lastly, your eye doctor may perform a dilated eye exam, during which they will use drops to widen your pupils so that the inside of your eyes can be examined thoroughly for signs of disease, such as diabetic retinopathy or macular degeneration.
Possible Eye Exam Questions
Here are some of the possible questions to anticipate from your eye doctor during your appointment:
- Are experiencing any pain or other symptoms in or around your eyes?
- When did you first begin noticing these symptoms? Do you experience them regularly or sporadically?
- Do you have any family history of eye disease?
- Have you ever had an injury to your eyes or head?
- Have you been diagnosed with a chronic medical condition that can have an effect on your vision? What medications (prescription, over-the-counter, or supplements) are you on?
- Are you allergic to any medications or substances?
- Do you currently wear glasses or contact lenses?
- How well do you see with your eyeglasses or contact lenses on?
- Have you ever undergone surgery on your eyes or had any other major treatments?
- How often do you wear your corrective lenses (glasses/contacts)? Do they help improve your vision?
- How well can you see from a distance without corrective lenses?
Eye Exam Doctor Near Me in Washington, MO
For comprehensive eye care in the Washington area in Missouri, choose Advanced Sight Center. Our team includes two board-certified ophthalmologists and a highly credentialed optometrist, who are dedicated to helping patients achieve optimal vision and eye health.
To schedule an appointment, contact us at (636) 239-1650 or use our convenient online request form. We’re eager to serve you at one of our locations!