Meet Our Doctors
Board-Certified Ophthalmologists & Optometrist
Dr. Howard Short established his ophthalmology practice in 1983 to serve the residents of the Franklin County and surrounding areas. At the time, the practice was located on 5th Street in Washington. Advanced Sight Center added its Creve Coeur location in 2000 and the Washington office moved to Jefferson Street in 2001.
In 2007, Dr. Olk joined the practice as the retina specialist. In 2021, Dr. Lory joined the physician team at Advanced Sight Center.
There are always new and exciting advances being made in the field of ophthalmology, and our eye doctors make a point of staying on top of them. To do this, they complete many hours of continuing education each year, and maintain membership in some of the most respected organizations in their field.
Specializes in Comprehensive Ophthalmology, Cataract Surgery, and Refractive Surgery
“I chose to pursue a career in medicine, specifically ophthalmology, because I wanted to help preserve people’s vision — and improve their quality of life. I make a point of staying at the forefront of the latest developments in my field that can help people like never before.
“While patients feel reassured by my experience and credentials, they really appreciate the friendliness and empathy I provide. My appointments are unhurried and informative, I explain my patients’ diagnoses and any recommended treatment in simple, easy-to-understand terms.”
Board Certified: American Board of Ophthalmology, National Board of Medical Examiners
Certified: Cataract and Implant Surgery, American Board of Eye Surgery, 1992
Residency: Ophthalmology, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC, 1983
MD: St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, 1978
- Life Fellow, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Fellow, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Eye Surgeons
- International Society of Refractive Surgeons
- Missouri Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons
- Missouri State Medical Association
- Southern Medical Association
- Franklin-Gasconade-Warren County Medical Society (Past President)
- Member, St. Louis Ophthalmology Society
Specializes in Diseases and Surgery of the Retina, Macula, and Vitreous
Board Certified: American Board of Ophthalmology
- Vireoretinal surgery, Barnes Hospital - Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, 1975
- Retinal vascular diseases, The Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, 1981
Residency: Rush Presbyterian - St. Luke's Medical Center, Chicago, IL, 1979
MD: Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL, 1976
- American Society of Retina Specialists
- The Macula Society
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
Specializes in primary eye care, contact lens fittings, and low vision.
Board Certified: American Board of Optometry
OD: University of Missouri—St. Louis
Professional Membership: St. Louis Optometric Society